Presidents Address



"It ought to concern every person, because it is a debasement of our common humanity. It ought to concern every community, because it tears at our social fabric. It ought to concern every business, because it distorts markets. It ought to concern every nation, because it endangers public health and fuels violence and organized crime. I’m talking about the injustice, the outrage, of human trafficking, which must be called by its true name — modern slavery.” PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA



Friday 4 April 2014

Health and the Sex trade


With all this information about the human sex trade, I was becoming more worried about the health consequences of people who are trafficked for sexual purposes. This is a pretty emotional area and must be treated with all due care and sensitivity.  

Also, with all this information, I was having a little trouble digesting it all. I usually pick up information visually and so I made a little infographic about some of the health consequences faced by trafficked inviduals. Although we know males comprise a small number of people trafficked, the majority seem to be females and thus I have concentrated on their health.





Reading these reports and listening to the people who help ladies after they are rescued, I was really impressed by the various strategies undertaken to help them out. I never realised the long term consequences of trafficking on emaotional and mental health. I now realise that care must involve the longer term treatment of mental and emotional health even after the physical scars have healed. 


by Andrew Garrett




No comments:

Post a Comment